a thing called scones

lists... every woman has them  - written down, in your head, they all circle around to be fulfilled. My cooking wishlist is expanding every day, so I am happy I am starting to slowly check things off it. This recipe can hardly be called a "thing" though - it is much more than that. I have to admit every time I hear the word scone, it reminds me of Bree from "Desperate Housewives"... now some words on coincidences in life - one day instead of buying milk in Prague, I bought buttermilk and did not even notice. Just the next day when I was wondering what shenanigans am I supposed to do with buttermilk, I found this amazing recipe from Joy the Baker, so preparing my scones was simply... destiny :) coincidences are a good thing indeed!


Scones in a hazelnut/chocolate/coconut symphony

Ingredients
(makes about 12 scones)

3 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp raw sugar
3/4 cup butter into cubes
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
60g dark chocolate /chopped/
extra buttermilk and sugar for topping
Coconut and hazelnuts are to be toasted for a while on the upper rack of a pre-heated at 175C oven. Since my coconut was coconut flakes, they browned real quick, so I put the hazelnuts first for 5mins and the coconut for only 3mins. Flour, sugar, baking powder and salt are mixed well in a bowl. Then the butter is added and the mixture is formed into crumbs (from small to large) with hands, this is a fun process :)

In a smaller bowl buttermilk is mixed with the egg. The bigger bowl then gets the chocolate, hazelnuts and coconut. Then we form a crater in the middle of the dry ingredients, so we have our little volcano and we add the egg/buttermilk lava inside. We mix (Joy says a fork, I used a spoon...). The surface onto which we place the dough (which is kinda sticky) has to be well floured and the dough is flattened by hands to the desired thickness (3-4cm). Round cookie cutter used to cut the dough (since there are plenty of hazelnuts and choc parts you may have some resistance while cutting). 
By collecting the leftovers and rolling again, I managed to get out 12-13 scones. All the time keeping the flour flowing on the surface. Then scones are put apart on baking trays lined with baking paper (oh these little mushrooms grow fast). Before thrown in the oven, we brush buttermilk and sprinkle sugar (for the irresistible shiny surface after). In an oven pre-heated at 200C, scones are baked 15-18mins.
Of course, it's a must that you eat the scones with jam, preferably with a friend at a tea afternoon, or just at the counter if you feel you don't want to share this (I understand, these are MY scones, they are... mine). Aah, this is one of life's pure joys. If by any chance you have anything left, keep it in a tight closed box and don't allow the scones to harden, if you do... shame on you :P
also... no one is allowed to touch my cherry jam jar, that is why I won't tell you where I hide it! :P

Comments

TRY THIS TOO!